As a landlord what documents do I need to give my tenants at the outset of a tenancy

Published: 13th January, 2016


You will be required by law to issue the tenant with:

  • A Tenancy Agreement – signed by all parties (tenants, landlords, guarantors) – we recommend you issue this to the tenants as far in advance of the start of the tenancy as possible.  NB: You will only be required to execute (i.e. date) the document on the moving date.
  • Prescribed information relating to the Deposit and T & C’s of the Deposit Scheme used.
  • (If Gas supplied) – a  valid Gas Safety Certificate – it is recommended a new certificate is carried out at the start of a new tenancy.
  • How to Rent Guide (issued by the UK Government Department for Communities)

Although not legally required – we advise you provide a copy of the EPC for the property.  Don’t forget – you are now liable to check your tenant’s right to be in the UK (passport & associated visa).