I keep getting debt letters to my home from a previous resident. As a tenant am I responsible to sort this out?

Published: 11th December, 2014

As a tenant you are contractually liable to notify utility suppliers and the local authority when you move into and out of a property. The previous tenant has in this instance clearly not notified the suppliers and you are now receiving debt collector’s letters. Although not liable for the debt, we would suggest that you contact the debt collectors to advice of the details of your contract and any forwarding details for the previous tenant. If you don’t have these we would suggest you provide the details of your landlord and/or letting agent as a forwarding address.


Alex – Martin & Co