My Nan’s rented house is in disrepair & is effecting her health. We can’t get in touch with her landlord, what can we do?

Published: 11th December, 2014

Hi Hannah,

Firstly you would need to take all steps to contact your landlord and/or letting agent, an address for service should be published under the landlord’s name (usually on page 1 of a tenancy agreement) and must also be published with the deposit details as part of the prescribed information issued at the commencement of the tenancy.

If you have no success in contacting either landlord or agent we advise you contact the environmental health department at your local authority. They will carry out an inspection of the property and where required, will issue a repairing order to the landlord. If the landlord does not carry out the works advised with the timescale, the local authority can carry out the works on behalf of the landlord and charge them accordingly.

We would never suggest you carry out works at your own expense, which you intend to recover from future rent payments unless an agreement is in place with the Landlord to do so.

If the property is in an ‘uninhabitable condition’ and you cannot contact the landord/letting agent, then we suggest you serve notice to the landlord and vacate the property.